Brussels Sprouts & Cauliflower Gratin

It was 5pm on Sunday... I should have been at the late mass :/, but instead I was curled up on the couch flipping through cookbooks, cooking magazines and talking with my friend Rebecca, about, you guessed it...cooking!

She was coming from the market for ingredients to make my Chicken and Spaghetti Squash Casserole for her and her husband's Sunday Dinner! Oh, I just love that!

I still had no idea what I was cooking for our Sunday dinner. Until! I came across this incredible dish in Cooking Light. I made a few modifications to make it healthier (86'ed the panko bread crumbs, heavy cream...etc.)

Here I served the gratin with a Broiled Hoisin & Ginger Glazed Beef Filet


Daniel and I both loved it! So much so, that I made it again on Monday for a friend who's dad recently passed away from cancer. I had been wanting to bring her and her husband dinner to help carry their load. My friend also happens to be a realtor who is helping us search for a new home right now. Since she was showing me a house that night, I took it as my opportunity to take "What's for Dinner?" off of her mind.

The following day, she said the meal was "AMAZING!!!!!" And that she was up until 12:45am studying for her GRI that night, so it turns out that a pre-cooked meal is exactly what she needed.

Don't you just love the way life works out?!

Spoil some people you love with this delicious side dish!

Fresh out of the oven with a crispy parmesan layer on top

Brussels Sprouts & Cauliflower Gratin

Ingredients:
1 large head organic cauliflower, cut into florets
1 1/2 - 2 lbs quartered Brussels sprouts
1/4 cup non-bleached, all-purpose flour
2 cups original almond milk
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 slices turkey bacon, chopped
1 large sweet onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
Cooking Spray
4 ounces grated fresh parmesan cheese


Preparation:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cook cauliflower and Brussels sprouts in large stock pot of boiling water for 2 minutes.

Measure flour. Combine flour, milk, salt and pepper in a medium bowl, stir well with whisk.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped bacon to pan, cook for 3 minutes or until bacon begins to brown, stirring occassionally. Add onion & garlic to pan, mixing in with bacon, cook for 3-5 minutes, or until soft.

Stir in milk mixture, bring to a simmer. Cook 3-5 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in cauliflower and Brussels sprouts.

Spoon mixture into a 9x13 baking dish, coated with cooking spray.

Cover dish with foil. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from oven.

Preheat broiler to high.

Remove foil from dish. Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese evenly over vegetables. Broil 5 inches from heat for 3 minutes or until browned.

Let stand 5 minutes before serving.


Keep Cookin', Good Lookin'!
Lindsey