Bread Less Meatza Pizza

Pizza has always been one of my favorite foods. (Isn't it everyones?!) But when I cut bread and complex carbs out of my diet almost completely, I had to say good bye to my friend, the pizza pie, as well. UNTIL! I discovered how to make a bread less pizza using only ingredients that I'm all for! I've fed dozens of people this bread less pizza, and everyone says, "I don't even miss the bread!" Your ground turkey is your crust. It bakes beautifully into a delicious, seasoned meat crust.

We featured this pizza on last week's CBS11 Morning Show, Get Healthy Texas, 'Healthy Alternative to Popular Fast Foods' segment, and now we're excited for you to have the recipe to make at home yourself! Include the kids, they'll love it! It's great for dinner any night of the week, to take to work for lunch, or pack it in your child's lunch box! This is one lunch you can eat either hot or cold!

You and your loved ones can now go back to enjoying pizza, like I do, without packing on any unwanted weight gain or fatigue from a carb crash!!! Don't you just love healthy solutions?!

If you and your family are partial to your favorite toppings, use those! Your options are endless!

Bread Less Meatza Pizza Recipe

Yields 12 square pieces, serving size approximately 2 per person

Ingredients:
2 pounds lean ground turkey
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
sea salt
pepper
italian seasoning

4 slices crumbled turkey bacon

Low-sugar marinara sauce (You can find as low as 3 grams of sugar per cup)

About 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
About 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1/4 diced red onion
1/2 diced green bell pepper

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl, use your hands to mix together ground turkey, parmesan cheese, sea salt, pepper & italian seasoning.

Spray your baking sheet (9x13 is a good size) with cooking spray. (Baking sheet must have sides, as fat from the meat will cook off and meat will shrink.) Lay the ground turkey onto the pan, working it as you go into a thin layer reaching toward all sides of the pan, in a rectangle. If it doesn't reach all the way across the length of the pan, that's okay. Just make sure it's even and doesn't have any tears or holes.

Bake it into the oven for 15 minutes. When done, drain fat from pan.

Spread marinara sauce onto meat crust. Sprinkle with both cheeses. Add vegetables.

In a medium non-stick skillet, coat with cooking spray and cook bacon to desired degree of doneness over medium heat, about 5 minutes. (I like to chop my bacon while uncooked, then throw it into the pan already in the sizes I want it. To me, it cooks more evenly, and I don't worry as much about the timing of flipping bacon slices.)

Put the pizza back into oven to melt cheese and tenderize veggies. About another 10 minutes.

When cheese is melted and veggies are tender, pull from oven. Top with cooked turkey bacon. Let cool about 5 minutes. Cut into squares.

Bon Appetit!
Lindsey